Make Your Plans for Super Museum Sunday!
Georgia, and Savannah in particular, has an impressive variety of museums and historical markers. On Sunday, February 10th, Georgians and visitors alike can experience our state’s rich history and cultural life. Historic sites, house museums, art museums, and other points of interest in Savannah and throughout Georgia will open their doors to the public, providing an exceptional opportunity to experience the history in our own backyard.
An impressive list of Savannah’s Museums and cultural heritage sites for showcasing knowledge and education will be free to the public from noon to 4 p.m. The Coastal Heritage Society’s five museums will participate in the 2019 Georgia History Festival’s “Super Museum Sunday” on Feb. 10th. Those sites include Georgia State Railroad Museum, Old Fort Jackson, Pin Point Heritage Museum, Savannah Children’s Museum, and Savannah History Museum. Guests can enjoy free interactive exhibits and engaging tours at each site through hands-on, immersive activities that illustrate the narratives of Savannah’s past.
In addition to the museums that are part of the Coastal Heritage Society, the Telfair Museums will open all three of their sites — the Owens-Thomas House, the Telfair Academy and the Jepson Center. However, because of the crowds that are expected for Super Museum Sunday, you might want to go ahead and get that visit to see the French Impressionism exhibition Monet to Matisse taken care of before February 10th (which is also the last day of this unforgettable exhibition).
Pin Point Heritage Museum, located in the old A.S. Varn & Son Oyster and Crab Factory, is your chance to experience the Gullah/Geechee culture firsthand. For nearly 100 years, the community of Pin Point was quietly isolated on the banks of the Moon River just south of Savannah. Now, you can explore the refurbished museum complex and experience multimedia presentations, exciting exhibits and unparalleled views of the marsh. If you are looking to have a more adventurous Super Museum Sunday, you can also kayak to the Pin Point Heritage Museum.
We Love Super Museum Sunday.
Many museums participating on Super Museum Sunday plan to offer free guided tours and live reenactments for the special occasion. The free admission provides the opportunity for those who otherwise cannot afford the chance to visit one of their local community museums. It is also an affordable way to explore a museum in your neighborhood that you may have never considered visiting before. Below is a list of participating Chatham County Museums. If you won’t be in Savannah on Super Museum Sunday, visit the Georgia Historical Society website for more information and the complete list of participating museums, parks and historical sites throughout Georgia.
Super Museum Sunday Chatham County
- Bloomingdale History Museum & Visitors Center
- National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force
- Andrew Low House Museum
- Beach Institute African American Cultural Center
- Bonaventure Historical Society
- Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens
- Congregation Mickve Israel
- Davenport House Museum
- First African Baptist Church
- First Bryan Baptist Church
- Flannery O’Connor Childhood Home
- Fort Pulaski National Monument
- Georgia State RailRoad Museum
- Girl Scout First Headquarters Museum and Program Center
- Green-Meldrim House
- Harper Fowlkes House
- Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, National Historic Landmark
- King-Tisdell Cottage
- Massie Heritage Center
- Mother Mathilda Beasley Cottage
- Oatland Island Wildlife Center
- Old Fort Jackson
- Ossabaw Island
Call Ossabaw Island for ticket/wait list information.
- Pin Point Heritage Museum
- Savannah Children’s Museum
- Savannah History Museum and Battlefield Memorial Park
- Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Museum & Nature Center
- Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
- St. John’s Church
- Telfair Museums’ Jepson Center for the Arts
- Telfair Museums’ Owens-Thomas House & Slave Quarters
- Telfair Museums’ Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Thunderbolt Museum
- Tybee Island Light Station and Museum
- UGA Marine Education Center & Aquarium
- Webb Military Museum
- Wormsloe State Historic Site